Thursday 28 April 2016

State of Kind



Everyone loves a random act of kindness. A stranger holding the door open for you. A young man helping an old woman cross the street. Extra marshmallows in our hot chocolate. But how often do we consider performing these random acts of kindness for our customers?
This morning I went to a favourite coffee shop of mine. Let’s call it the “Co-feel Good” for privacy reasons. I go twice a week (I’d go more, but I’m watching my caffeine intake). The “Co-feel Good” sells a new but serious chai made from Soy milk. Not this commercial super-sweet, slightly-spicy stuff. This chai has kick. It burns a little bit. Not only did we come to “Co-feel Good” for liquid inspiration but to participate in their “G-D given gift” of internet speed.

The folks at this place are always nice, despite the fact that they’re up at the weirdest time of hours at a time. Today, the owner behind the counter said to me and my colleague: here try this, its delicious.”  We looked at each other and reached out and took the cup. Had a sip and slipped into heaven. It was absolutely DELICIOUS! It was really good. But as good as it tasted I was sure that it wasn’t going to be as delicious in cash. 

After we had finished our tasks, we went to the till to pay for that awesome cuppa Chai. “And how much do I owe you” I asked the owner. “Oh nothing, its free today” he replied with a smile.
Now I’m sure you’ve been in these situations too where the person behind the counter says a product is for free, but you have to do something to qualify this. So, I waited a moment for the pitch. “…if you buy two.” “…if you refer a friend.” “…share the news on Facebook!”
But it never came, so I asked: “Why’s that?” He responded: “Oh, it’s just customer appreciation day here at the “Co-feel Good.” Thinking they were latching on to a specific holiday, I asked if it was customer appreciation day everywhere. “Oh, no,” he answered. We just like to do it from time to time.”

No strings. No “deals” where you end up spending more money than you intended. No “you only get this discount if you like us on Facebook and specifically ask for it”. Simply, an act of kindness. I love The “Co-feel Good”, but now I love them even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment